General Meeting Minutes
Date: January 12, 2023
Time: 7 p.m.
Location: Mohnton Fire Company
Please note: If you are attending the monthly meeting, an RSVP (“Going”) on the Facebook event page is appreciated in order to plan for food ordering.
Treasury Report – Shaun Luther – reviewed the past year’s expenses. Spent a bit more that we made. Explained some for the expenditures.
- Charlie Horse Half Marathon (Sunday, May 28, 2023) – Shaun Luther, registration is open. Registration start time is moved to 7:30, since people are not being bussed to the start. This is the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend.
- Run for the Ages 10K Trail Run (Sunday, June 25, 2023) – Blair Hogg, the swag will be socks this year. Still putting the final touches on the application.
- Blues Cruise 50K Ultra Trail Run (Sunday, October 1, 2023) – Mike Whalen, 14 registered so far (several from out of state). The run has been designated as the RRCA regional 50K championship – the event will get a few sponsors and incentives with this designation. Michelle commented on the Facebook personal updates – it’s great to be putting a face with all the names. (FYI – serious Blue March infraction alert – No parking on the grass.)
- Oley Valley Country Classic 10-mile race (date TBD) – Lenny Burton, numbers were down for this race in 2022. He would appreciate some media promotion support. Michelle commented about more interaction with the communications folks. Karen Sinnen recommends a coordinated marketing campaign. Decision on donation to Oley Valley Ambulance Association – motion made to donate $1000, seconded, and passed.
- Kris Kringle 5 Miler – Lisa Domeshek – The even went really well. Raised about $9000. Half of proceeds will go to the Berks County Cross Country Coaches. 526 runners/600 registered.
- Shiver by the River 5K and 10K series (Sunday, February 12, and Sunday, March 12, 2023) – Sue Jackson – runner numbers are down from pre-Covid races. There is a time limit on the first lap set at 45 minutes, due to the farm house being needed early in the afternoon. She would like ideas to get more runners. Georgine reported that she got a direct message from someone who appreciated the races that the Pacers do.
Social Committee: Need a social committee lead
- Wallyball, next week. $5 for members; $10 for non-members. Tentative date for March in consideration, if there is interest. Pizza, snacks, wine, and beer provided. Please try to RSVP for any Pacer event. Court shoes needed.
- Jane Setley – Would the group like to cook another dinner at Opportunity House? March 13 is the next Monday available. 6 to 8 people needed. Mike Whalen requests that we commit to this date. Jane will coordinate the date.
- Jane Setley – Fleet Feet does the Teddy Bear Trot, $15, and all proceeds go to Opportunity House. The Souper Bowl event is on January 30 at the Double Tree, 28 restaurants this year will be represented.
- Weekly runs – Steve Vida, There have been a year of posting the routes, and this has been working well.
- Trail Maintenance – Jane Setley, small tree down near Jane’s house. Requesting some support – Brandon will assist. Contact for the Blue Marsh power equipment training
- Rt 10 to Rte 165 – Shaun Luther – proposes that the club formally take over this portion of maintaining the horseshoe trail. Motion made, seconded, and passed.
- Deadline for this is 2/28/23. Open to children of Pacers member (at least one year in good standing) and high school cross country runners.
- Long run on the Horseshoe trail this Saturday.
- Race mates – Mike Whalen, next event is March 18, IM ABLE BASH fundraiser at Alvernia on an indoor track to demonstrate their equipment. Sign up on line and put in box that you are a Pacer. Some upcoming races that he is working – Grings Mill in August , Laney’s Fashionista 5K, and Jingle in July. The pace will typically be at the slowest pace of the runners.
- Still looking for 6 missing tables from the trailer – please return.
- Sue Jackson – the trailer is wonderful, but the club is looking for more assistance with getting it to/from the race. (Requires a vehicle that can pull the trailer.)
- Marketing the races – each race director, please email a short description of your race and the event date to Michelle Henry. She can create a handout to have at each race.
- Race director meeting on January 26, 2023.
- New lock for the trailer – due to the many keys that are all over the place.
- Board of directors will be reviewing the club by laws as a focus this year.
- Condolences were expressed on the passing of Albert Booth age 102. He was an inspirational person and dedicated runner.
- If you are attending an event that is posted on Facebook, please indicate that you are going to help with planning.