Minutes from the General Meeting (April 2021)

General Meeting Minutes

Date: April 8, 2021

Time: 7 p.m.

Location: Virtual meeting via Zoom

Treasury Report – Shaun Luther—account is 119% of target. No large expenses the month. Income coming in from Blues Cruise and Charlie Horse races. Taxes are due 5/15, and they will be ready on time.

Races:

  • Charlie Horse Half Marathon (May 29, 2021)—Shaun Luther—registration less than expected only about 30 people signed up so far. Shaun would like to have 100 people signed up. Prospective runners may still be cautious about signing up for a race. Aid stations are being developed. A training run will be announced: out and back from Sleepy Hallow, about 9 miles. Stephan Weiss will assist Shaun with ‘getting the word out there,’ by sending some advertising emails thru his network.
  • Run for the Ages 10K Trail Run (Sunday, June 27, 2021)—Donna Hey—9 people registered so far. At the Friends of Nolde meeting, the group was more positive about holding the race. She got the paper applications to Ron Horn, and they will be put out this weekend at his races. Blair and Donna are likely to change the ending to expand the distance that people will have between each other, probably for this year going back up the long driveway. This would eliminate the scrambled hill climb which is fun, but tends to crowd runners and spectators together at the finish line.
  • Grings Mill 5K and 10K—no report
  • Blues Cruise 50K (October 3, 2021)—Dan Govern—about 100 people signed up so far, and still several weeks/months out. Asked Shaun for the total amount of the money that is set aside from the registration donations, so that money can be allocated to a project. Dan will be looking into the swag, which will be decreased from previous years. He will organize some training runs. April 17 is a clean-up day at the day use area, posting will follow.
  • Oley Valley Country Classic—Lenny Burton—trying to coincide this race with the Apple Fest on Saturday, Oct 9, (a non-church day, so can likely use the main road for a time), start/finish at the fairgrounds. Considering strongly to have the finish going up the hill. He is meeting with the township to confirm the plan.
  • Kris Kringle 5 Miler—no report, will start again in mid-summer.
  • Shiver by the River 5K and 10K—Sue Jackson—last Shiver is Sunday. Steve will bring the trailer. Some adaptive-athletes are running assisted by Pacers. Mike Whalen is running with one of the athletes. Dale Weiss is running with the other runner. Dale spoke about this assistance to adaptive athletes at a pre-COVID meeting. This is the first race where the club members will be supporting this. Sue needs volunteers on the intersections. Show up at 9:30, and relinquish the intersection at 11:20

Committee Reports

Social Committee:

  • Movie night at Goggleworks, April 17, showing “Chariots of Fire.”
  • Mike Whalen asked if the Wine and Cheese Social could be done in the fall—doesn’t want to wait until the Spring of 2022.

Communications Committee

  • Newsletter—Polly Corvaia asked if there was any feedback on stopping the hardcopy minutes. No one has really pinpointed whether this had an effect on membership.

Community Service

  • Weekly runs—going well.
  • Trail Maintenance—Mike Whalen did some of this at Blue Marsh. Thanks, Mike.

Charity Committee

  • Scholarship committee—Ken Seale—Committee is meeting this month and winners will be announced by next month.

Membership committee: Steve Maguire—The annual fee for membership will be discussed in the fall for the 2022 year.

Old business

  • Dale Weiss has been able to finally get his plan in motion to assist with adaptive athletes, with the first group running at the April Shiver by the River.
  • Still trying to find a venue for an outdoor meeting—So far, Steve has not been able to find a suitable outdoor area with lighting.

New business

  • Nolde Forest is doing a clean up of the area in preparation for an official visit on 5/18. Donna will select a day and post online.
  • Ken Seale has accepted a position at customer service at Infiltrator Water Technologies in Connecticut (unfortunately, keeping the Seales at a distance). Congratulations, Ken, and all the best in your new job.

Minutes from the General Meeting (March 2021)

General Meeting Minutes

Date: March 11, 2021

Time: 7 p.m.

Location: Virtual via Zoom

Treasury Report – Shaun Luther—114% of target. We have expenses now, comparatively, from last year. Donation checks were sent: $1400 for Nolde Forest, and $800 each to the Berks Cross Country Coaches, IM Able, and Schuylkill River Greenway, and have expenses for the Horseshoe Trail and Shiver by the River. The RRCA music license refund was still in contention—the issue was elevated to the president of the RRCA, Shaun resolved this, and a refund is pending.

Races:

  • Charlie Horse Half Marathon (May 29, 2021)—Shaun Luther—A group ran the new course last week. It was a shade short in distance, at about 12.8 miles. Some adjustments can be made to add a little distance. The course has about 2100 feet of climbing, and the group liked the new course. A few administrative details were needed: Brecknock Township officials wanted insurance verification and a few release clauses on the sign up form, which were taken care of. The t-shirts are designed, and Shaun is working on the swag. Sleepy Hollow credited the deposit from last year to this year. Will put in a request for a work (volunteer) day on the course. And will do at least one training run, about 9 miles. Awards of the painted horseshoes will be for the top 3 male or female finishers. Then something lighter (as in, not the weight of a horseshoe) for the age-grouper awards. (Congratulations to Shaun on achieving the status of Pop-Pop.)
  • Run for the Ages 10K Trail Run (June 27, 2021)—Donna Hey—She is opening registration for this race. Many thanks to Blair Hogg for volunteering to be co-director. Nolde is not officially open yet, but Donna has the ok to open registration for 100 people, plus a wait list, for a race at the end of June. Due to the iffy-ness of the race occurring, it will be a no-swag event for a cost of $25. Regarding awards, there will be fastest runner awards and limited age grouper awards, due to the low enrollment number. The Education Center will likely be closed, as the renovation hasn’t started yet. Probably she will not have any same-day registration. Donna and Blair are moving forward with plans, but Nolde is strict about re-opening. 
  • Grings Mill 5K and 10K—Steve Maguire, from Jane Setley—have the weekend set, but Grings Mill is still hedging about confirming the accessibility.
  • Blues Cruise 50K (Oct 3, 2021)—Steve Maguire, via Dan Govern—about 70 signed up so far.
  • Oley Valley Country Classic—no report.
  • Kris Kringle 5 Miler—Polly Corvaia—Coaches thanked the club for the donation. IM Able will do a ‘big check’ photo op. They will put our logo on their web page. Schuylkill River Greenways, March 27 is the clean-up day for their Reading area portion. Registration is required to volunteer. (If the registration is closed, please consider a monetary donation.)
  • Shiver by the River 5K and 10K (April 11, 2021):  Sue Jackson—The directors were able to hold a live race on 2/28, finally. Another one this Sunday (3/14). Need someone to bring the trailer—Steve will handle. Needs volunteers, will have a unique prize at each race. (Sue let the club know that Terry’s Trophies, a business we have associated with for several years, will close at the end of April.)
  • Jr. High Cross Country Fall Invitational: no report

Committee Reports

Social Committee:

  • Movie night at the Goggleworks—Larry Sundberg—he wants to show “Chariots of Fire” from the available list of movies at Googleworks. Saturday, April 17, at 6:30 p.m. The cost will be $10 per person with a 6-person minimum to secure the theater. Larry will give away the movie DVD as a door prize. The club will reimburse Larry the cost of the DVD, and there will be some other door prizes. Maximum occupancy is 25 people in the theater. They have a concession stand, with beer and wine (which includes a PB&J sandwich to cover the food requirement). The event will be publicized on the Facebook page. It is not a general public event, so a Pacer should be present with guests.

Communications Committee—no report

Community Service

  • Weekly runs—Attendance has been around 20 per evening. FYI—the parking area at the Fire Tower on Skyline Drive is locked. Matt will look into getting access to the area.

Charity Committee

  • Scholarship committee—applications due at the end of March

Membership committee: No changes, will discuss again in the fall. An email will be sent to the inactive people. Occasionally, Shaun gets someone asking for membership, who will not disclose his/her age. Shaun must refund the membership fee if he is unable to the person to disclose this necessary piece of information (required for insurance purposes).

Old business: None

New business: Goal is to have an in-person group meeting in April.

Minutes from the General Meeting (February, 2021)

General Meeting Minutes

Date: February 11, 2021

Time: 7 p.m.

Location: Virtual meeting via Zoom

Treasury Report – Shaun Luther—we are at 118% of target. Starting to see income from Blues Cruise and Charlie Horse registrations. Savings were taken from an unused bulk mail account, which hasn’t been used in 2 years, and closed the account. The residual money in the account will be refunded. RRCA is refunding money for the music licenses that weren’t used. The IRS sent a letter that stated the 2019 had to be filed—which they already were. So Shaun is trying to resolve this by providing copies of the tax return and the mailing receipts.

Races:

  • Charlie Horse Half Marathon—Shaun Luther—May 29, 2021, he and Libby have been reviewing options of how to hold the race. Thinking is that people won’t want to ride on bus with other people, which is the traditional transportation, or hire 3 buses. But this is an expense. Starting a Rustic Park is difficult, especially with the minor vandalism to the marking in previous years. The third option is start/end at Sleepy Hollow. Shaun was able to get this option approved by Brecknock Township. They had a few reasonable conditions that would allow this to happen. So, this is the 90% most likely course that will happen. There are some road crossings. Shaun will be looking at places for aid stations. This year will be a half marathon only (no 5K). No day-of registration, or post run awards, celebration, or eating. (See the PP Discussion Group FB page for updates.)
  • Run for the Ages 10K Trail Run—Donna Hey—Nolde still has restriction on group activity. She has some dates in mind, and will continue to monitor the situation.
  • Grings Mill 5K and 10K—Jane Setley—they have the date, and will be starting the planning. 
  • Blues Cruise 50K—Dan Govern—registration is open. About 40 people are registered. Has the permit and the pavilion reserved. Caught up on the details for now. He is planning some training trail runs. Fleet Feet has offered to do an aid station.
  • Oley Valley Country Classic—no report.
  • Kris Kringle 5 Miler—Polly Corvaia—the profit was more than budgeted this past race due to limited expenses. Polly would like to give to a few charities. First option, $900 each to the coaches, a charity, and Pacer general fund. Second option, $900 each to coaches association, IM Able foundation, and the Schuylkill River Trail (SRT) Fund, to improve the section of trail in West Reading that is having security issues. Polly is asking for people to donate additional funds to either the Schuylkill River Trail or IM Able. The club voted to give $800 each to the three charities (coaches, IM Able, and SRT) and reserve $300 to the clubs general fund. Polly will post additional information on the PP Discussion Group about individuals volunteering on 3/27 for the “Reviving the Reading Gateway Section of the SRT” and/or donating to the $70,000 needed for the project.
  • Shiver by the River 5K and 10K—Sue Jackson—Regarding the 2/14 scheduled race, the condition of park and the course were not good, and the weather forecasters are calling for more bad weather. The decision was made to postpone this race until February 28. There will still be a race on March 14. Sue will need volunteers, mostly for people to manage the traffic and runners on the road.
  • Jr. High Cross Country Fall Invitational—Tom Chobot—still a fluid situation, no updates yet. 

Committee Reports

Social Committee:

  • Movie night at the Goggleworks was looked into by Polly. Max occupancy is 25 people in the theater. They sell wine, beer, beverages, and food. The cost is $10 per person, so it would be no cost to the club. If interested the theater must be reserved for at least 6 people. They have a list of movies that can be shown. Larry Sundberg will take this project on. 
  • Possibility of something in the Spring at Mike Whalen’s.

Communications Committee—Jon Durand—will still try to plan a Wawa-type run.

  • Newsletter—Matt Brophy—nothing to add. Ideas for content are welcome.
  • Facebook—Jane Setley—has been keeping up with the Discussion Page.

Community Service

  • Weekly runs—Steve McGuire—good attendance for these WNRs. Shaun Luther mentioned using an e-blast in Constant Contact for a “new runner” to try to reach a larger crowd to perhaps get a better showing. Focus on one that’s more centrally located. Steve will look at a good location. Mike Whalen offered that the club should be more cognizant of any new people and their running paces. The group agreed that we should try for a better focus on making this work. Do an e-blast, choose a night that seems central, or perhaps designate a particular night in the month. Will try to start in April, when there will be daylight for the start of the WNRs.
  • Trail Maintenance—Mike Whalen—some areas need clean up, so he will coordinate a few people to do this when the location is accessible. 

Charity Committee

  • Scholarship committee—Beth Kohl—she wants to bump the deadline for application submission to the end of March (March 31st), as the applications are usually due the end of February. An e-blast for the Pacer-related portion of the scholarship will be sent. Tom will send an email to the head of the coaches association, who can forward an email to county coaches.

Membership committee: No report

Old business

  • Donna Hey—donation to Nolde Forest to improve the trail markings (as described in January’s meeting minutes). They want to enhance the markings there now. It would be a $1400 donation to the Friends of Nolde Forest. The donation amount of $1400 was proposed and seconded by the membership present. The Friends are agreeable to the ‘big check’ presentation, and posting on their social media sites

New business

  • Fleet feet is looking to expand its involvement with the club, such as an aid station at Blues Cruise. They put a paid-for article in the newsletter, which was not its traditional advertising method. They may have some shoe fittings at WNRs and are offering more trail shoes in their store to cater to that running market.
  • Tom Chobot—Dylan McKissick wants to put together a morning run program in Spring Township. If we have members in this area who are interested, Tom is forwarding details to Matt for the newsletter.
  • Georgine McCool said that Constant Contact is going to do an upgrade on March 1st that will require a new template. Not a lot of races use this, so Georgine will take care of creating a new template.

Minutes from the General Meeting (January 2021)

General Meeting Minutes

Date: January 14, 2021

Time: 7 p.m.

Location: Virtual Zoom meeting

Treasury Report – Shaun Luther—we are at 115% of target. Regarding setting our target (i.e., 3 years’ worth of operating expenses on hand at all times) for 2021, per the bylaws, we are supposed to set our target based on non-race related expenses. The treasurer should determine this based on previous year’s operating expenses. But because of the inactivity and low operating costs of 2020, the target for this year would be very low. Therefore, Shaun suggests that the club use the 2019 target amount. This was agreed to, and the target for 2021 will remain the same as the target in 2019. 

Shaun reported that RRCA gave a refund to the club for insurance costs. The music licensing cost increased. This will be made known to the race directors that use music for their races. 

Races:

  • Charlie Horse Half Marathon—Shaun Luther—Scheduled for Saturday, May 29, 2021; 10 people have registered so far. Shaun is considering a few ways to hold the event: A) continue with the way we’ve always done it, start at Rustic Park with buses transporting from Sleepy Hollow; B) start in Brecknock Township and run some distance around there; or C) start/finish in Rustic Park. For this year, though: No Dirty Pony 5K and no music or anything afterwards. Shaun plans to run the race, unless restrictions prevent it.
  • Run for the Ages 10K Trail Run—Donna Hey—no word on this, as the park is still closed.
  • Grings Mill 5K and 10K—no report
  • Blues Cruise 50K—Dan Govern—Sunday, Oct 3, 2021, Dan is getting some inquiries, but still not sure how to handle it. He is going to start making some inquiries about permits, etc. Registration has been opened through UltraSignUp.
  • Oley Valley Country Classic—Lenny Burton—no report.
  • Kris Kringle 5 Miler—Polly Corvaia—the transition to virtual went well. She had a few people call with suggestions that were helpful. Hoodies and swag were picked up and about 50 were mailed to out of towners. About 70% of the entrants posted a time. Income for the race exceeded expenses, due to the not having to pay some of the operational costs. Polly proposes that a donation of $1000 (suggested) be given to each of three groups: the cross country coaches (as per the usual donation), the ‘I AM Able’ charitable organization, and, possibly, the Schuylkill River Greenways National Heritage Area, of which the Schuylkill River Trail is a part.
  • Shiver by the River 5K and 10K—Sue Jackson—December’s race was canceled. The January race was virtual. An additional race date on April 11th has been added. Sue has spent a lot of time tracking the participant adjustments. Some runners from December have switched to April, and some have switched to other races. They are counting on an in-person race in February. Everyone has been good about everything. For the January event, the course was marked, in case anyone wanted to run it on the scheduled Sunday. Some people did chose to run the course on their own, while Sue, Georgine, and Tiffany handed out the swag at the pavilion. Thanks to Donna Hey for the potato chip deliveries. And a shout out to Sue’s dog, Molly, who did not take advantage of the situation and eat the snacks for the swag bags. On February 14, the next race is scheduled to be in-person. The start of the 5k is at 10:00 a.m., followed by the 10K at 10:10. Mike Whalen will assist with the trailer.
  • Jr. High Cross Country Fall Invitational—Tom Chobot—winter track right now is week to week, due to COVID cases. In the fall, it will depend on what the schools are doing. He has the date reserved, but won’t know until around Labor Day what a glimpse of the situation will be.

Committee Reports

Social Committee: The GoggleWorks is renting their theatre for limited entry movie showings—if we want to try a social event there and spread out. March/April—Polly will look into this.

Communications Committee—Jon Durand—considering doing a feature once a week of the trails in Berks County, and even may make it a ‘where am I’ spot, so that he can have the benefit of getting out, and also get some club virtual participation.

  • Newsletter—Matt Brophy is going to ask Fleet Feet and/or Chester County Running to see if they want to contribute some content into the newsletter.

Membership committee: A few new members have joined. Reminder: all members of good standing as of last year had their 2021 dues credited. The next dues collection is planned for December 2021. There is a membership list on the Web site under the ‘membership’ tab.

Old business: None

New business

  • The donations, as noted above, from the proceeds of the Kris Kringle race, will be voted on next month.
  • Donna Hey—She attends the Friends of Nolde meetings, and that group has asked the Pacers to consider paying for some trail marking discs in the Forest to replace the older markers, and to replace some of the corner posts. The cost is $530 for posts. The markers are 4-inch round, color-coded discs, to be put in place of the current hash marks, and can be placed on trees, for a cost of $850. They are requesting a total of $1400 donation. Does the club want to make a contribution towards this trail-improvement project? Steve McGuire suggests the club cover the $1400 to make these improvements. Can we get a sign or ‘giant check’ donation photo to acknowledge our contribution? We will make a motion to donate next month. (FYI—Nolde is now fining people for any dogs off leash–$250, and fining for being in the park after dark.)

Minutes from December’s Special Meeting

General Meeting Minutes; special focus

Date: December 10, 2020

Time: 7 p.m.

Location: Zoom virtual

Lamar Foley: Oley Valley Organics interested in advertising to and offering some specials to the Pacers. Polly will reach out

This evening’s meeting was called in response to the updated restrictions announced by Governor Wolf, due to the worsening COVID epidemic. The focus of the meeting was the two races effected by this—the Shiver by the River and the Kris Kringle run.

Report from Mike Whalen, RN: Mike consults for the Commonwealth as a subject matter expert in emergency management and infectious diseases. He has been working throughout the pandemic. In his capacity as a SME, he reports that in the last 4 to 6 weeks, the situation in the Commonwealth has worsened, with the increase spread of COVID, worse than in the Spring. Hospitals are running at 100% capacity. 

Races:

  • Kris Kringle (modified for 2020): Polly Corvaia—she is leaning at this point to go with a virtual race. Done and times reported on the honor system, no awards (can be kept for next year). Polly would mail out the hoodies and swag or have a pick up place and time. Based on advice from Ron Horn, she could expect a 50% participation rate. Refunds have to be by check and sent in the mail. The club has about $4000 invested in the race in total. It’s likely that we could break even by holding a virtual race. Polly would like to decide by this weekend, and she will do an e-blast. Would also like to have the virtual runs completed by the scheduled race day, December 27, so that she can post the results.
  • Shiver by the River 5K and 10K: Sue Jackson—the Shiver will be canceled for this Sunday, December 13. As of this evening—the restrictions are in place until January 4th. The next Shiver race is scheduled for January 10th.  The disposition of the canceled December race will be determined by the race directors—whether it will be rescheduled for April or canceled all together will be announced later. Sue is not considering a refund at this point. The January race will be dependent on the lifting of restrictions on or about January 4th.

The Pagoda Pacer Discussion Board on Facebook will be the place to get the most up-to-date information.

Minutes from the General Meeting (November 2020)

General Meeting Minutes

Date: November 12, 2020

Time: 7 p.m.

Location: Virtual, Zoom meeting

Treasury Report – Shaun Luther report via Steve—117% of target. Shaun will attend the online insurance seminar for the RRCA.

Races:

  • Charlie Horse Half Marathon—Charlie—nothing to add on Charlie Horse or the Horse Shoe trail.
  • Run for the Ages 10K Trail Run—no update
  • Grings Mill 5K and 10K—no update
  • Blues Cruise 50K—Stephan Weiss—still have construction issues at the Blue Marsh pavilion area, will continue to monitor.
  • Oley Valley Country Classic—Lenny Burton—one person has run the course so far. He has run it every year so far. It’s great that this is his 26th year, and he has kept the streak alive.
  • Kris Kringle 5 Miler—Polly Corvaia—The race is sold out, and she has a waiting list of about 10 people. Still planning on having the race—so far, pending any changes in the ability to gather in a group.
  • Shiver by the River 5K and 10K—Sue Jackson—The races are still on, and the December race is not full yet. Definitely need volunteers, email Sue if you can help (email is on the Pacer web site). The trailer will still be needed, and arrangements have been made to bring it.

Committee Reports

Old business

  • The traveling flamingos—have they flown south? Not sure of their current whereabouts.

New business

  • Holiday social events—Matt Brophy will host a New Year’s Eve hike to the Pagoda.
  • Beth Kohl asked, “Do we want to do all the election voting via a doodle poll, or similar platform?”
  • The club will do some kind of virtual event for the December meeting—perhaps even some type of holiday gathering. Stay tuned for updates.

Election voting results announced:

Election results: Had 62 votes cast electronically 

  • Steve McGuire—president

Board members elected for 2 years:

  • Brandon Beane
  • Jon Duran
  • Matt Brophy
  • Tom Chobot
  • Sue Jackson

Minutes from the General Meeting (October, 2020)

General Meeting Minutes

Date: October 8, 2020

Time: 7 p.m.

Location: Via Zoom

Treasury Report – Shaun Luther – The account is 111% of target. The caterer from the 2019 Christmas party was paid, so Shaun says we do not have any outstanding bills. 

Races:

  • Charlie Horse Half Marathon – Shaun Luther – Registration was not opened on Oct 1, but will be in the next few days. No limit at this point to the registration, as this race doesn’t usually go that high. Trail maintenance on 10/18—they are creating a ½ mile new trail to be cut between French Creek and Rustic, that will eliminate the run through the gun club range. They are looking for volunteers to help cut. Shaun will post on the discussion page—this is the Pacers section of trail.
  • Run for the Ages 10K Trail Run – no update.
  • Grings Mill 5K and 10K – Laura Yoder – no update. Permits for the park are not accepted at this time.
  • Blues Cruise 50K – Mike Yoder – A few people did the Baby Blues Cruise. No update at this time for the 2021 event. There are trees down on our section of the trail, at least one large one that will take some coordination to reach.
  • Oley Valley Country Classic – Leonard Burton – will do a virtual race open for a 4-week window, but not with Strava. Probably with “map my fitness.” Instructions will be put on the web site.
  • Kris Kringle 5 Miler (or whatever distance it comes out to this year) – Polly Corvaia – has the permit. 50 spots are still open. 175 have signed up. Hoodies are optional for purchase, and this will be a limited bulk purchase. All runners will get a nice swag bag for the run, with donations from local sponsors. The gnome prizes match the Pacer colors. Polly wants to allow runners to re-loop the 5K race, but is having some trouble with the details. Message her with any suggestions. Lisa Domeshek and John Thompson are co-race directors. Male 25 to 29—no one is signed up in this category yet. She likely will sell out within the next week.
  • Shiver by the River 5K and 10K – Sue Jackson – She is trying to stick with 200 or so for the enrollment cap for each race. There are people registered for all the races—60 so far for December. Still keeping the swag and food limited. Even though the Governor has opened up the numbers, the rulings are so much in flux that Sue wants to stick with the original plan.
  • Jr. High Cross Country Fall Invitational – Tom Chobot – need about 6 – 8 volunteers. This is scaled down—no t-shirt sales, no food, no awards. There won’t be as many spectators. Need especially for parking and the finish line, probably will be done by 11:00 a.m. with everything. Gwen is hampered with typing, so she needs help with getting the names on the bib. Sue Jackson and Georgine McCool will help this. Tom and Gwen will make sure that they follow best practices for COVID prevention. The High School event is two days prior.

Committee Reports

Social Committee:

  • Bike rides – Larry Drago has posted an event
  • Christmas party by Zoom?? The idea is being considered.

Communications Committee – no update

Community Service

  • Weekly runs – continuing to have a good turnout. Matt Brophy has been doing a great job of doing the signatures, and no incidents so far.
  • Scholarship committee – does not begin until after the New Year; Beth Kohl will try to get something written for the November newsletter and will reach out to the schools.
  • Trail Maintenance – will need to be done at Blue Marsh (Mike Yoder) and the Horseshoe Trail (Shaun Luther)

Old business

  • Board positions open: President and 5 executive board positions will be voted on in the month of November. Some board members are up for reelection. Larry Drogo will not run again for a board position. Voting will be done by Doodle Poll with nominees listed and sent to member emails. The poll will be open for a certain period of time in November. There will not be write-in candidates allowed. Beth Kohl is collecting nomination names.
  • Active members had their annual dues payments rolled into 2021. New members will still have to pay the fee.

New business—none presented

Minutes from the General Meeting (September 2020)

General Meeting Minutes

Date: September 10, 2020

Time: 7 p.m.

Location: Mike Whalen’s house and via Zoom

Treasury Report – Shaun Luther—117% of target. Some larger amount checks written for Nolde Forest and the Berks County Coaches Association. Received refunds for music licenses we didn’t use. One large expense coming up: we were never charged for the food for the 2019 Christmas Party, but the club never received an invoice . . . so, this is the only outstanding expenditure.

Races:

  • Charlie Horse Half Marathon—Shaun Luther—Typically, registration for the event is open on Oct 1st. The plan is to still do this, and then adjust plans accordingly.
  • Run for the Ages 10K Trail Race—Donna Hey—The club’s donation check was presented to Nolde, and they were very appreciative of the gift. Donna is keeping her eye on things for next year. The construction at the mansion and education center has been put on hold for the current time. 
  • Grings Mill 5K and 10K Run—Laura Yoder—no news as yet.
  • Blues Cruise 50K (for 2021)—Mike Yoder—Nothing planned yet.
  • Oley Valley Country Classic—Lenny Burton—details to follow about the course he has created for people to run, which will be loaded onto Strava, and can be tracked via that application. Swag—thinking about masks with a hex printed on it. Details to follow.
  • Kris Kringle 5K (distance change for 2020)—Polly Corvaia—race is still scheduled for about 200 runners with limited spectators. New location is the Berks County Fairgrounds, which has a large outdoor, covered pavilion. She is using a new artist for the hoodies—Audrey Kohl. Awards will be 2-deep, due to fewer runners, and based on the 5K results. Large gnomes for the overall winners, and smaller gnomes for the age-groupers. Polly has a 5K course to measure, and will be on the grass/turf the whole time. (Adding a road piece is an additional $300 for fire/police.) If the course is snowy, potential volunteers needed to pack snow—runners, snow mobile, etc. Awards are based on 5K, but runners are encouraged to do an extra loop and make it a 10K. More information will be made available via email and the discussion page on Facebook.
  • Shiver by the River Series—Sue Jackson—all races are still a go. Probably will do a staggered start with the 10K first. Limited at this point to 200 runners, and encouraged to not bring spectators unless the runner is a minor. Talking about a goody bag with the race items enclosed. Still no day-of registration planned, no paper applications, and each race will be registered for individually (i.e., no series registration). Registration is online only through Pretzel City Sports. Awards will be very limited. Water and wrapped snack only at the finish, with the intent for runners to leave immediately from the race at the end. No congregating on the inside of the farmhouse. Considering opening the online registration first for people who ran last year. More information will be made available via email and the discussion page on Facebook.
  • Jr. High Cross Country Fall Invitational—no update.
  • Race director comments—Donna Hey—mentioned that she can get single-serving bags of Dieffenbach potatoes chips as wrapped items to give out at races.

Committee Reports

Social Committee: Caroline Hill is working on a bike ride on a weekend soon. Details to follow.

Communications Committee—Jon Durand—nothing to add (he’s trying to do IT support for 5,000 students in Exeter). Anything: send to Jane who has been posting on the discussion page.

Community Service

  • Weekly runs—have been well attended, and Matt is doing a good job of collecting names and signatures. Thanks to Phil for scheduling these runs. 

Charity Committee: no update

Membership committee: Deferring membership dues for 2021 is under consideration due to the savings of not holding meetings and other events. (Annual dues raise about $2200/year.) Still trying to attract new members.

Old business: Restaurants are moving to 50% capacity, so this may be an option to have a few people attend in person. Venue suggestions are welcome—perhaps a hotel, Canal Street, Mimmo’s, a fire company, etc. Contact Steve with any ideas about this.

New business

  • Discussion of membership dues, as noted above. Further discussion needed about this.
  • Worlds End Ultramarathon (100K) is 9/26. Mike Yoder—the Pacer station will be there, and it’s business as usual. He wants to make sure there isn’t an issue with doing this. No issues noted. He is looking for about 10 people, if anyone is interested. There will be some Pacer women running the ultra, and results to follow.
  • Nominations for executive positions—Seeking nominations for a few executive board positions (3 or 4), and the president’s position is open. Contact Beth with any names for consideration. Candidates will be announced at the October meeting, with voting done at the November meeting.

Minutes from the General Meeting (August 2020)

General Meeting Minutes

Date: August 13, 2020

Time: 7 p.m.

Location: Via Zoom

Treasury Report – Shaun Luther—Balances are 121% of target, in good shape. There is no income coming in, and expenses are limited to refund checks, scholarship checks, and the check for $1500 for Special Olympics.

Races:

  • Charlie Horse Half Marathon—Shaun Luther—no input (still too early to start planning).
  • Run for the Ages 10K Trail Race—no input
  • Grings Mill 5K and 10K—Laura Yoder—no input (although this year’s race would have been flooded out again due to the storm).
  • Blues Cruise 50K—all refunds were done, according to Shaun. Steve states there may be some sort of ‘fat ass’ on this weekend. There is a lot of maintenance being done on the property, so more to follow on this.
  • Oley Valley Country Classic—Barry Goodhart and Lenny Burton—They are having a difficult time hosting the race, especially with losing the location venue. But canceling this year is a difficult decision as well. The township is not issuing any permits at this time. Steve suggests an event with Strava on a preset course, and others can run the marked course for no charge, no awards or swag, on the same weekend (or over 30 days). Lenny is supportive of the idea, but is not familiar with the details of Strava. It would be a 10-miler and/or the 5K. No trespassing on the OVYL field at this time, so will consider an alternate start/finish location, such as the high school. (Since the meeting, Lenny has posted details on the Pagoda Pacer Facebook discussion page.)
  • Kris Kringle 5-miler—Polly Corvaia—would like to do the race for 200 runners, and change location from 4-H Center to Reading Fairgrounds Pavilion. Either venue is ok with holding this and are flexible with any change of plans. At the fairgrounds, there can be a large area for the start. Polly would possibly like to run the course entirely on the fairgrounds (a cross country course), and do two laps, for about a 4-mile race. (Considering some road to keep runners from lapping other runners.) Registration would be on-line only, and food would be very limited. Masks to be worn as designated by the club. Entry fee would be reduced. To avoid having to place a large hoodie order, a limited number and size of hoodies would be sold separately on the day for approx. $20, on a first come, first served basis. Check for 2019 donations will be going out soon, but the race is unlikely to make a contribution for 2020. 
  • Shiver by the River—Sue Jackson—The directors are thinking hard about trying to do this. Still a go as far as Muhlenberg Township is concerned. All volunteers to wear masks/gloves. Limited access to the farmhouse, no congregating inside, access for registrants would be in one door & out the other. No paper apps or day-of registration. Up to 200 runners and the race could still stay within current guidelines. Possibly staggering the 5K and 10K race start time this year, and have people commit to one race or the other this year—not having the usual flexibility to decide mid-course. No soup or bagels served; any food would be pre-wrapped and on a table for selection and to keep people moving. And maybe use one of the pavilions to spread out. The race app will contain the standard disclaimer for COVID screening. Trying to figure out the awards and trophies. Please share thoughts, if you have them. Already has the awards ordered, and can be saved for the next year in case this year doesn’t work out.
  • Jr. High Cross Country Fall Invitational—Tom Chobot—The season for high school events is still quite fluid. Tom can wait for a while to see what will happen, as planning comes together quickly—lots of cross purposes between the state and the PIAA, so the season is still up in the air.

Committee Reports

Social Committee:

  • Wine and cheese mixer is officially canceled for this year. Thanks to Karin for her efforts, though.
  • A small group gets together on Tuesday nights at Nolde for a run, if anyone is interested.

Community Service:

  • Weekly runs—These have been pretty well attended, despite the weather. Safety precautions have been adhered to, and no incidents to report.

Old business:

  • Venues for in-person meetings. Some areas were discussed with outdoor pavilions or large spaces. Suggestions are welcomed.

New business: None.

Minutes from the General Meeting (June and July, 2020)

General Meeting Minutes

Date: June 11, 2020

Time: 7 p.m.

Location: Via Zoom

Treasury Report – Shaun Luther—Balance at 129% of target. No real expenses. Still waiting on few sponsorships checks. Only a little to report—no expenses for races or meetings.

Races:

  • Charlie Horse Half Marathon—Shaun Luther—all refunds were sent for this race. Still waiting on refund for music license. Sent an email on the day of the race to everyone who had registered. Libby sent a note to everyone who donated to the charity and did not take a refund. They collected a few hundred dollars from these donations. On May 23rd (the planned day of the race) at 9 a.m., Charlie ran the race, so we can say that it happened this year, a 23-year streak. Thanks for Charlie doing that. 
  • Run for the Ages 10K Trail Race—Donna Hey—Ted Andrus is donating the airline tickets to Nolde (these tickets are good for a year). There have been donations of registration fees as well. Donna is going to consider some sort of raffle or money-raising activity to sell the tickets. Next year’s race is reserved for June 21, 2021, the last Sunday in June.
  • Grings Mill 5K and 10K Run—Jane Setley—canceled for 2020, no other no update.
  • Blues Cruise 50K—Dan Govern—Mike spoke to the Army Corps of Engineers, they are following PA guidelines for group gatherings. Berks County is in the yellow phase, green would limit us to 250 people. This would limit runners to 200, to include spectators and volunteers. Choices are (1) limit race to 200 people. Questions remain about aid stations and end-of-race meal. (2) Cancel race altogether this year. (3) Run some fat-ass style. 
  • Oley Valley Country Classic—Barry Goodhart—Concerned about a resurgence still, so no definite plans yet.
  • Kris Kringle 5 miler—Polly Corvaia—The race can’t be run through Gring’s Mill this year, due to the closure of events at all Berks County parks through the end of 2020. Polly has biked a new course, but did not really like it. She is considering an out-and-back course that would turn around at Reber’s Bridge—this would make fewer road crossings. But suggestions on this are still welcome. Door prize suggestion welcomed, so we wouldn’t have to count on SW tickets. Considering 5, $100 gift certificates for vendors who are at the race. The hoodies, she uses Jackie from Mt View graphics. Will leave the year off, so can be used next year in case. This would be a big purchase coming up mid-summer. The awards are ordered, but can be used for next year. Suggestion made to push the race to the first week of January to perhaps run the original course—but Polly says that new event applications in the parks are not being accepted until Spring 2021. 
  • Shiver by the River—Sue Jackson—no updates
  • Jr. High Cross Country—no update.

Committee Reports

Social Committee:

  • Wine and cheese—moved to August tentatively.
  • The pair of flamingos are making their way around the area, and photos are being put on Facebook

Communications Committee—Jon Durand—no update

Community Service

  • Weekly runs—The club will consider the RRCA guidance. They will support our club if we follow their guidelines. The club will eliminate the post-run hosting events this year.

Old business: None

New business: The executive board will review a phased-in approach to restarting the weekly runs and races.

General Meeting Minutes

Date: July 9, 2020

Time: 7 p.m.

Location: Via Zoom

Treasury Report – Shaun Luther—Balance is 127% of target. Money has been spent on 12 months for parking the trailer at Storage World, and we got one month free, and also some registration fees. Refunds were made for the Grings Mill and Blues Cruise races. Shaun applied for music fee refunds for some races, but has not heard about any of his requests (about $260/race). Getting rebates for insurance race fees was brought up. This has not been automatic (such as with an individual’s car insurance), and Shaun will bring this up at renewal time.

Races:

  • Charlie Horse Half Marathon—Shaun Luther—no update at this time. 
  • Run for the Ages 10K Trail Race—Donna Hey—reserved the date for 2021. Still having some difficulty tracking people down from this year to refund their registration fees. Donna wants to know what to do about how to handle these stragglers. The Club will leave it up to the race director to determine about the refund or application to the next year of registrations for their races.
  • Grings Mill 5K and 10K run—Laura Yoder—canceled for this year. Shaun has sent the refunds to the registrants.
  • Blues Cruise 50K—Dan Govern—canceled for 2020. About 40 registrants took a credit for next year, and Dan has about 8 left to determine how to handle their registration fees.
  • Oley Valley Country Classic—Len Burton and Barry Goodhart—No date set yet, and will determine by mid-August whether or not to have the race. It is still to be determined if Oley Township will allow the race to be run, or if OV Youth League will have any participation with the race. In keeping with the Club’s recommendation to make a determination about holding any race about 75 days out from the race, a decision will be made by the next meeting.
  • Kris Kringle 5 miler—Polly Corvaia—Based on current guidelines imposed by the state for group gatherings, her race would be limited to 150 runners, which accounts for an additional 100 volunteers and spectators combined. The Kris Kringle is usually one of the largest races for the year in the county. This would be challenging, but Polly will consider what can be done with these parameters. Currently Berks County owned facilities have canceled all invents on their grounds through 2020, and are not taking new reservations until next Spring.
  • Shiver by the River—Sue Jackson—the race directors have spoken together about the RRCA and club guidance. They continue to get together about what can be done to stay within guidelines and hold a worthwhile race, considering the number of months involved in the races, and the planning for each event. This continues to be in discussion.
  • Jr. High Cross Country—sent by Tom Chobot—he hasn’t really done anything for this yet. The youth leagues are still trying to figure out the fall schedule and coaching is still going on. He will continue to monitor the situation.
  • **Race director message from Steve McGuire, based on Executive Board meeting—took an approach that the RRCA recommended: focus is on safety for the volunteers and runners. Limit race sizes to 150 runners (in green status, limited to 250 total at the gathering). We understand that this may cost the club money if the race is run with this limited participation, but the club will consider being a steward of the race to be important as well. The directors should maintain prudence of expenses, and any race would be scaled back with swag and food. Some of the races have been canceled due to reasons beyond the clubs control, such as the location owners canceling activity at their site. Swag and awards—decreasing or eliminating swag and awards should be considered, and staying away from year-indications on the swag. Continue with race planning until about 75 days out, and then make decision within that time. If there are particular concerns, such as ordering the hoodies, bring them to the attention of the directors. The Club will stay away from virtual races. Registration—no day-of registration. Addition to the registration forms will be the risk of exposure to COVID-19. For races using Run SignUp, this disclaimer can be acknowledged during the on-line registration. Making sure that people are well on the race day would be a challenge, but could also be put into a disclaimer. Packet pickup—various options, we will try to see the best practice. No awards post-race to eliminate gathering. Suggestion for gift certificates as awards. No food provided at events. Aid limited to closed containers or the runner to provide his/her own item. Convert to chip timing to eliminate the hands-on activity at the finish line. (Ron Horn has capacity for this). Stoudt’s 10-miler is coming up; a race in western PA also coming up, so the club will look at how these events are handled. Currently, as we interpret the PA guidelines, we would have masks at the start, have the OK to pull the mask down for the race, and then put the mask back on for end of the race.

Committee Reports

Social Committee:

  • Wine and Cheese is still possible, but does not have a formal date currently.

Communications Committee—Jon Durand—continues in his activities with this.

Community Service—Donna Hey—there are 2 opportunities to volunteer with Nolde Forest. They have trail maintenance on the second Saturday of the month, so people can do that. They also have an adopt-a-trail campaign, and you can be a steward of the trail and report any issues with its condition (some trails have already been adopted).

  • Mike Whalen has been having some fun with the chain saw and felled trees. Also Shaun has been doing as well.
  • Weekly runs—Matt Brophy has been helping out with the liability forms. The club has had two WNRs so far, and no issues reported. Good attendance so far, considering the heat and the rain.

Charity Committee—no report

Membership committee: Dee’s role is in helping out with getting people interested with joining the club. Hopefully Dave Gallen will continue in his role on the membership team (although his usual post as greeter and dues collector at the annual Christmas Party is still TBD based on the event being held).

Old business

  • The club would still like to donate to the charities that it supports in the races. So a motion was made to donate to Special Olympics ($1500) and the Friends of Nolde Forest ($1500). Second received, and the motion was approved by the members present.

New business

  • Blind Hartman’s Tavern is closing. So the club will be looking for another venue to hold its in-person meetings when those resume. Any ideas of a venue, please mention to Steve McGuire.