General Meeting Minutes
Date: September 12, 2019
Time: 7 p.m.
Location: Blind Hartman’s Tavern
Treasury Report – Shaun Luther—115% of target. The account had some larger expenditures (donation expenditures to organizations) and also good income from registrations. Taxes have been filed.
- Charlie Horse: No report yet, except registration may open first part of October
- Run for the Ages—report via e-mail: the date of the run is June 28, 2020. This year’s donation was made to Nolde Forest, and some noticeable work is getting done around the park.
- Grings Mill—Jane Setley—everything pretty much finished for this year, except a pair of shirts to deliver. Will start discussing the 2020 event next month.
- Blues Cruise—Dan Govern—registration is about 15% ahead of last years’ time. 345 runners registered so far. Dan expects registrations to be in the 425 range for entrants. Needs volunteers for many jobs throughout the day. Mike Yoder needs assistance with marking the trail the day prior. The newsletter on the Pacer web site has details of the volunteers needed. Many things are set, such as food, but Dan is still trying to get a donation from Mrs. T’s pierogis.
- Oley Valley Country Classic—Barry Goodhart—pretty well set for the run. Sponsors are set. Last year they had over 400 runners, most in the 10-miler. The race will need volunteers for this 25th year event.
- Kris Kringle—Polly Corvaia—3 registered runners so far. Doing the permits, and is in good shape. Fleet Feet will have $50 and $25 awards for the winners and some coupons for money off at their store. The race is the first Sunday after Christmas, Dec 29.
- Shiver by the River—Sue Jackson—the races are the second Sunday of month, Dec thru March. 12 registrations so far. This is the 30th year.
- Jr. High Cross Country—Tom Chobot—Oct 19 at Reading Fairgrounds, between 7 a.m. and noon volunteers are needed.
- Social Committee—Caroline Hill—Sept 29, Sunday, a Manayunk bike ride, about a 30-mile trip.
- Mike Ranck tribute—Dan Govern gave a nice tribute talk about the loss of this fellow runner.
- Communications Committee—Jon Durand—would like content for Instagram. Send to him thru social media.
- Weekly runs—getting thru the end of the host-sponsored runs.
- Reading Hospital Race—Sunday, Oct 13, Beth Auman via email—there will be pace runners for half marathon. She need 2-20, 2-25, 2-30 pace runners (free entry and shirt included). The race could also use help for a variety of tasks including water stops, course marshals, bike leads/sweeps, and parking. Due to the assistance every year, Pacers are offered a $5 discount to the race via code: PACERS19, before Sept 30. Please contact Ellie Alderfer or Beth if you are able to volunteer.
- Tom and Gwen Chobot sponsor an annual event, held this year on Tuesday, Oct 15, High School Cross Country meet, at Kutztown University, 3:30 to 5:30. They need volunteers, and the effort is much appreciated.
- Girls on the Run, will present next month. Tom Chobot is facilitating.
Membership committee: No report
- Trail maintenance—Mike Yoder—the ski slope needs some trees taken out, probably to be done on 21st or the 28th. They will make and clear a better area for the Margaretville aid station to get it off of Church Rd.
- New signs—Mike Whalen—they are done and in the shed
- Trailer—has arrived. Mike Whalen drove it to the meeting site for attendees to see. It needs internal configuration. They went with a taller vehicle. Mike wants to coordinate getting things out of the shed. The first race where the trailer will be used is for Blues Cruise. It will be parked at Storage World, and the goal is to stop using and paying rent for the shed. Steve is looking for a decal source for the outside of the trailer. If anyone knows of a company that does good work, please contact him.
- The club has received donations in memorial to Jim Cramer, so we are discussing how to donate. Shaun Luther recommends the Horseshoe Trail Association. Shaun will also check with the Lancaster Road Runners, as they received donations in Jim’s honor as well.