Minutes from the General Meeting (May 2020)

General Meeting Minutes

Date: 5/14/2020

Time: 7 p.m.

Location: Online via Zoom

Treasury Report – Shaun Luther—account is 130% of target. Shaun shared the monthly report with the board of directors, as copies could not be handed out in person at the meeting. He has requested an extension to file taxes—which he does every year. The finances are ok, due to the buildup of the “rainy day” fund. Ongoing expenses for the club have dropped, such as the food at the meetings and no social activity expenses. We have very few ongoing expenses; one is the cost of trailer parking. There was a questions about the expenses of charity contributions that are usually made from profits from the races. The club will wait until more is known about the COVID situation and its impact on club finances. 

Races:

  • Charlie Horse Half Marathon—Shaun Luther—Canceled for this year, as previously noted. Only about $100 has been spent. Shaun is trying to get back the music licensing fee. Some registrants chose to convert their fees to contributions to the Special Olympics, but only a few.
  • Run for the Ages 10K—Donna Hey—The race will be canceled for this year. At this time, Nolde is not allowed to have groups at the park. Donna does not want to transition to a virtual race. She only had 10 registrations, so far, and had spent about $175 for the application printing.  Donna will discuss with Ron what he wants to do. No swag purchased, or Nolde pottery prizes done. We have the airline tickets, though, and still need to decide how to handle this. Donna will discuss further with Ted Andrus.
  • Grings Mill 10K and 5K Run—Caroline Hill—Everything at Grings Mill is canceled for the rest of the year, so the race will not be run this year. They are refunding the registration fee. The only expense is for the applications that have been purchased, and the music license fee, so she will request a refund.
  • Blues Cruise 50K—Dan Govern—still planning to hold this event on October 4, 2020, and has permits from Blue Marsh. Dan will discuss in the next few weeks with the Corps about whether or not the race can occur. Mike will reach out to Blue Marsh. No money has been expended, but there is still time. Not looking good at this point, but initial planning will proceed according to the usual timeline. Dan may consider a lower cap number for registrations. Or run it as a fat-ass style for a much lower number of registrants.
  • Oley Valley Country Classic 10 mile and 5K—Len Burton—No date established at this time. Still looking to collaborate with the Motorcycle Club to host, instead of the Oley Valley Youth League. The course would be the same, with a different start/end point—perhaps with some alterations to the swag, etc. No expenses accrued at this point. Could be a no-frills event.
  • Kris Kringle 5 miler—Polly Corvaia—still planning to hold in December. About $500 spent for gnomes that have been purchased. Hoodies still not ordered. Still have a few months to really decide on this. Permits start in September.
  • Shiver by the River Series—Sue Jackson—not much has been done, no money down yet. Temple Fire Company is reserved though for the final date in March 2021.
  • Jr. High Cross Country Fall Invitational—Tom Chobot—very easy to do. Whether or not it will be held is still up in the air.

Committee Reports

Social Committee:

  • Wine and Cheese Party at the Pagoda is canceled—Dee tried to brainstorm some sort of social event. Jane mentioned people still getting dressed up and taking a picture. 
  • Still trying to maintain a connection. Ideas were a scavenger hunt, “letterboxing,” posting a flamingo(s) in someone’s yard to have sort of a game of tag. Look for more information on the Facebook page.

Communications Committee—Jon Durand—has kind of fallen off, but would like to do something. 

Community Service—no report

Charity Committee

  • Scholarship committee: Reviewed applications remotely this year. 16 applicants. Committee has made selections and announced the four recipients.

Membership committee: Dee will be added to the e-blast access on Run Signup, and Jon Durand will help to get this started for membership updates.

Old business: No updates

New business:

  • Jon Durand may try another WaWa challenge. When will be a good time to do this? He has support from Wawa when we are ready.
  • The club will watch for races in the surrounding states to see how those are opening up. The liability of the club is a consideration when deciding to restart events.
  • Karen Rule–Reading Radsport is having a virtual “uphill’ race—bike and running—to support charities. Shillington Eye Associates is matching funds. See their web site for further details.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s