General Meeting Minutes
Date: June 10, 2021
Time: 7 p.m.
Location: Victor Emmanuel II pavilion
Treasury Report – Shaun Luther—we are 130% of target. Charlie Horse income is in, but not all expenses. Other races are reporting income, but not expenses yet. Berks County Coaches are owed money.
- Charlie Horse Half Marathon (completed for 2021)—Shaun Luther—113 finishers about half what it usually is, but the weather was horrible. Perhaps will make about $2000 income, not including the direct donations to Special Olympics. One lesson from this year: at the start, a reminder of the cut off time will given to the runners, so they will know to keep track (but it was in the race description this year). Polly did the results timing using RunSignUp, and she did a good job, saving some timing fees. And thanks to Charlie and his family for their generosity in making this year’s event successful, given all the challenges.
- Run for the Ages 10K Trail Run (Sunday, June 27)—Volunteers are needed. Ted Andrus has donated two Southwest airline tickets, so this prize will be available again this year. Same-day tickets will be available for $10 each. Must be present to win. No frills race this year. About 80+ registrants so far, still no day-of registration. Updates are sent out via Constant Contact and Pretzel City Sports (PCS). Currently Nolde requires that anyone not vaccinated to wear a mask.
- Grings Mill 5K and 10K & ½ mile kids run (Sunday, August 1, 2021)—Jane Setley—all on-line registration via PCS. Reducing the awards, but otherwise the same course that starts from the Berks Heritage Center.
- Blues Cruise 50K (Sunday, October 3)—Dan Govern—close to 200 are registered, guaranteed to sell out at the 450 cut off. Swag will be decreased—will be a shirt (from RUseeN), hat, and gloves. Food will include some vegan options at the aid stations. Dan will start some training runs at the end of June, to be announced, and he is asking for some leaders for the training runs. Regarding the use of previously donated funds, the Army Corps of Engineers contact is not responding to emails, but a bridge on the back side does need repair, so Dan will pursue that.
- Oley Valley Country Classic (Saturday, Oct 9)—no report
- Kris Kringle 5 Miler—no report
- Shiver by the River 5K and 10K—Sue Jackson—has started planning. Will be pretty much the same as it has been, the second Sundays of the month.
- Karin Long will assist with a Wine and Cheese – possibly aiming for a date in mid to late September.
Communications Committee—Jane Setley—have anything to post, just reach out. Jane can do updates on the web page now or Ed Recker can do them as well. She is looking for new pictures for the scrolling feature.
- Weekly runs—Steve McGuire—Constant Contact® emailing for new runners has been successful. Those runs will be kept closer to a central location to encourage better attendance.
Charity Committee—Scholarships were awarded and announced for this year.
- Race mates—next Pacer event for this activity is the Grings Mill race. Contact Mike Whalen if interested in being a Race Mate.
- Next Thursday is the Zach Miller movie in Lancaster. If anyone goes to this, please provide feedback to Steve.
- The Worlds End Ultramarathon aid station sponsored by some of our Pacers came together, was well done, as usual, and received some excellent publicity.
- Shaun and Dave’s Excellent Adventure was a success.
- Jane Setley—“Wine, Women, and Shoes,” an Opportunity House fund raiser, usually at the DoubleTree Hotel, is this year at a hangar at the Reading Airport. She needs help with parking.
- Inside the trailer is a grill with four burners which was purchased for use at a race, but is now taking up needed space—Dan Govern would like to get it out the trailer. Mike Whalen said he would store it at this house. It was decided that that if no one uses it for a year, then he can keep or dispose of it.
- Christmas Party? Yes, please.—December 3—voted on and seconded. Swamp will start the arrangements. Ben Galen will get in touch with his father about the donations for the raffle.