General Meeting Minutes
Date: April 19, 2022
Time: 7 p.m.
Location: Mohnton Fire Company
Treasury Report – Michelle Henry – Shaun renewed the club’s memberships with two Berks trail conservancies for $100 each.
- Charlie Horse Half Marathon (Sunday, May 29, 2022)—Registration has picked up, but is still behind last year. He needs two experienced aid stations captains. If interested, reach out to Shaun Luther.
- Run for the Ages 10K Trail Run (Sunday, June 26, 2022)—Blair Hogg – registrations are slow. Since the swag this year is a packable picnic blanket, he is having trouble coming up with what to do for sponsors and appropriate advertising.
- Grings Mill 5K and 10K (Sunday, August 7, 2022) – Jason Karpinski – this year, using chip timing; like other races, registration is slow.
- Blues Cruise 50K (Sunday, October 2, 2022) – Dan Govern – Registrations are a little slower this year. He has not looked at swag yet, but does like getting a shirt. Monetary donations from previous years have accumulated – it will be used for redoing a piece of the ski slope that is heavily affected by erosion. The work will probably will be done by the summer and ready for the Blues Cruise.
- Oley Valley Country Classic – no report.
- Kris Kringle 5 Miler — no report.
- Shiver by the River 5K and 10K – (concluded for 2021 – 2022 season) – Sue Jackson – This series was the first time that the series lost money, about $2000. The runners were not registering like previous years: about 880 people total, which is about 600 less than pre-pandemic. Prices will likely have to increase. The price of the farmhouse is increasing to a non-resident rate. The current early-bird series rate is $45, and regular rate is $60. Sue may change the swag for next year to eliminate the need to pre-order of shirts in various sizes. She is open to comments, if you have any.
- Jr. High Cross Country Fall Invitational – no report
Social Committee: Michelle Henry
- West Reading Pickleball – Michelle Henry – She is in touch with that group, and will try to coordinate an event.
- Veladrome trip– Mike Whalen – still planning
- Wilshire Pool – in June, run and ride from the pool location
- Outdoor Yoga, Yuriko will lead the event on August 6 at 9:30, at Fawn Hill Hop Yard, Shillington
Communications Committee: Steve Vida, can arrange for any postings on our media outlets
- Weekly runs – Michelle Henry – Phil will be putting out a post on Facebook to have the WNR hosting events start in June.
- Trail Maintenance – Mike Whalen – has been working on the ski slope. Report any completed maintenance done on the ski slope to Blue Marsh administration, so that the Blue Marsh can qualify for more federal funding. Sandy Kincaid from Berks Trail Works is here next month to discuss their program. Anyone using power tools, must go through the course.
- May 1st, race mates needed, for Lanie’s Fashionista 5K. Contact Mike Whalen, Kris Jacoby, or Dale Weiss. Also they will be doing the Grings Mill Run, and, perhaps, doing a few Wednesday night runs in a limited capacity.
Scholarship Committee: Beth Kohl – the committee met last week and announced the following choices for scholarships. For the Pacer member scholarship – Kierra Pickard, daughter of Marshall Pickard, won; then 3 winners in the open category for cross country scholarship were chosen: Caryn Rippey (Wilson), Rachel Ulrich (Govenor Mifflin), and Grace Mangold (Wilson). Beth motioned that these 4 awards x $750 be approved. Her motion was seconded and approved. Regarding changes to the scholarships in upcoming years, the committee, after some discussion, recommended no changes to our current process and award amounts. Currently, the awards can be adjusted as needed. The committee needs a few more team members; talk to Beth, if you can help.
Membership committee: New memberships have been going ok at the membership tables opened now at all races. (We had two new members at the meeting this evening.)
- Fleet Feet is sponsoring a trail running event. Blair and Lisa D. will be there on June 6, 2022, at 9:00 a.m. There will be 3 to 4 miles of trail running. (June 5th is National Trail Day.)
- Member passports for end-of-year swag are going ok. Michelle will send an email blast, and discuss at the start of the WNR.
- Next month, arrive at 6:45 for the meeting to hear the Kincaids about trail maintenance.
- Pacer Trailer – Mike Whalen — can we move it back to the Storage World at Wyomissing Blvd. Shelves were made to fit the bins, which should be relocated. Mike has declared “No more Vaseline in the trailer.” The trailer exterior was damaged at Storage World, probably by someone backing into it. He cleaned the trailer after the last Shiver, so it looks very good right now. The AED needs the pads replaced, Mike will take care of this. The AED should not stay in the trailer.