General Meeting Minutes
Date: September 8, 2022
Time: 7 p.m.
Location: Victor Emmanuel II pavilion
Treasury Report – Shaun Luther – The financial account is 185% of target. Bigger expenses now being paid for race awards and a payment to the Berks County Coaches Association, which was 51% of the profit from the Kris Kringle race last December. The bill for trailer storage is paid for 12 months in advance, which gets the club one month free.
- Charlie Horse Half Marathon (past event of 2022) – Shaun Luther – discussed the Special Olympics donation for this year’s race. There was not a lot of profit from this year’s event, but there was $400 of personal donations from Charlie Horse runners, and the Grings Mill race director (Jason) donated some of profit from that race to go to the Special Olympics cause. A motion was made to donate $1600 to Special Olympics. The motion was seconded and passed.
- Grings Mill run (past event of 2022) – Jason Karpinski – He wants to thank all those who volunteered to make the race successful.
- Blues Cruise 50K (Sunday, October 2, 2022) – Dan Govern – getting close, needs a lot of volunteers. Dan would appreciate emails from those who are volunteering, so he can assign the 30 to 40 people to where they will be needed. Also, you can contact any of the aid station captains, if you are interested in volunteering at one of those. Registrations are low, about 233 entrants so far. Hoodies will be the event swag this year. The awards are in. Mike Yoder is marking the day before (Saturday, at 3 p.m.), if that is something you are interested in helping with please let Dan or Mike know. Going cupless (drinking cup, that is) again this year.
- Oley Valley Country Classic (Saturday, Nov 5, 2022) – Barry Goodhart – Shirts again this year. Needs volunteers. Will take place at the Oley Valley Fairgrounds.
- Shiver by the River 5K and 10K series (1st race: Sunday, December 11, 2022) – Sue Jackson – planning in progress for this year’s series.
- Pickle ball, Sunday, September 25, 2022, email went out to sign up.
- Christmas party – Jules Hager is the new chairman, taking over from Swamp.
- Holiday (Labor Day) run was this past weekend.
- Long run planned for pre-Blues Cruise event – meeting at Church Road parking lot. Will do the ski loop, 7miles, by Liz Glass, and also the lower loop of 22 miles will be run.
- Long run for October (date TBD) will be at Trexler Preserve near Allentown.
- Trail Maintenance – Mike Whalen – He will take care of one issue on our Blue Marsh trail section that is not too bad. Otherwise the section is good. The bridge will likely not get done before Blues Cruise. There is some heavy-duty trail access needed prior to this maintenance being done.
- Opportunity House volunteering – Steve McGuire – there are some details still to be worked out. Jane Setley will be in touch.
- Guts and Glory info table on Saturday, September 24 – Michelle and Jason will man the table at this event.
- Berks Nature event at Angelica Park (Sept 11, 2022). Steve Vida is doing a run at 1100—dog friendly, the event starts at noon. Pagoda Pacers (Lisa D.) will host a membership table.
- Pop-up Pacer gear purchasing – info will be in October’s newsletter. Open for only 2 weeks. Can ship directly or Michelle can distribute.
- Next month and November’s meetings will be at the Mohnton Fire Company.
- Elections will be in November. The president position (reelected every year) and 4 board member openings are available. Details to come out in October. A few board members have timed out of their allowable service time, so new people are needed to run for board membership.
- October 22, 2022, 9 a.m., interval speed training for beginners. Lisa will have a member table. More details will be provided.
- The Pacer trailer – if anyone has a vehicle that can mover the trailer, please inform Michelle or Mike Whalen. The group would like additional options for moving the trailer, if needed. There are tables missing, about 5 or 6 – if you have one, please return it. Mike Whalen will power wash the trailer and make sure things are cleaned for Blues Cruise.